Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Nah Wah Oh!!! Woman Marries Building


The Los Angeles Times reported Monday that Baylonia Aivaz, an activist with Occupy Seattle, exchanged vows Sunday afternoon with an old warehouse slated for demolition.
Spokane's KXLY reported that Aivaz and the warehouse located at 10th and Union on Seattle's Capitol Hill "entered into a self-described “gay marriage,” surrounded by friends singing of love and united against displacement in their neighborhood by means of new development."
Seattle's KING 5 said the activist "fell in love with the 107-year-old building during an Occupy Seattle protest and doesn't want to see it torn down to make room for a brand-new apartment building."

KXLY noted that Aivaz and 16 other Occupy Seattle protesters "linked arms and occupied the warehouse to fight against gentrification and for community space."
"I hope that America wakes up and

more after the jump

realizes that gentrification is a serous issue that affects poor people, especially people of color, and we really need to stand up and do something about what's happening in our neighborhoods all over the country," Aivaz said.
"When I look at this building I see a community center, I see a community art space, i see a homeless shelter, I see free childcare, I don't see a building, I see a space that can address all the needs of our neighborhood.”
KXLY added:
When the minister asked if she would “love and cherish and protect this warehouse,” Aivaz responded in song.
“Come with me my love, to the sea, the sea of love. I want to tell you how much I love you,” Aivaz sang, quoting “Sea of Love” by Cat Power.
“Do you remember when we met? I cleaned your rooms and washed your floors, built community, opened some doors. You changed my life. I’ll never forget the day we met. I’ll cherish your community sprit until the day I die,” she said, adding her own verses.
The ceremony continued with the calm but ecstatic guests singing “Lean on Me,” laughing at children blowing bubbles and enjoying a neighborhood potluck with a vegan cake.
But the characterization of the vows as a 'gay marriage' have some upset, considering that Washington is on the verge of becoming the seventh state to legalize same-sex marriage.
As Aivaz pledged her undying love for the building, gay marriage proponents protested nearby with signs reading “This is not a gay marriage."
Phoenix Lopez, one of those quietly protesting the marriage, said she found Aivaz's description "disrespectful.”
Aivaz did not disclose her honeymoon plans, but her union with the building will be short-lived, as demolition is already underway, according to KING 5.